About J.C. Austin 

Austin Elementary is named after John Curtis Austin, who was born on April 20, 1910 in Mesquite. The youngest of five children, his parents were John and Jane Austin. Mr. Austin always went by “Curt,” lived in Mesquite all of his life and attended Mesquite schools. He married Opal Sullivan and had two children. During World War II, Mr. Austin worked to make plane parts for the war since he could not participate in the war due to his age. In his younger days, he helped on the family farm. One day, Mr. Austin was approached and asked if he would like to be the first municipal judge; the people told him that they wanted someone who would be fair and loyal to the city and people. He only held court once a week, so he also drove a school bus and took the girl’s basketball team to games. Some of his favorite things to do were hunt, fish, play baseball and spend time with his family. Mr. Austin was a member of the First Christian Church congregation and taught a Sunday school class.

John AustinMr. Austin was a lifelong supporter of Mesquite schools. He was chosen to have a school named for him when his youngest daughter Jane wrote to the school board saying she thought that it would be a good idea, since he was a pioneer and the first municipal court judge. When he died on August 3, 1981, Mr. Austin knew that there was going to be a school named after him. His family still resides in Mesquite.

Serving approximately 550 students, J.C. Austin Elementary School offers many programs outside of the regular classroom such as art, music and physical education to enrich the variety of learning styles represented among our diverse population. Austin Elementary School feeds into Kimbrough Middle School and Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School.